November 16, 2008

Grateful

Meet Streak.
A grandmother to the flock. She is in a field all by herself, separated from the rest of the sheep by a metal fence. Sheep hate to be alone.
All day long she grazes along the fence line, longing to be with the rest of the crew.


And here is the rest of the crew. Streak has to be by herself so she doesn't get pregnant. She is a bit old, and the lamb she had last year is not that strong or healthy. So we separated her during the fall mating season so she could stick around for another year.

I have tried to tell her - Abstinence is the only birth control with the 100% guarantee. :)

It is past Veterans Day, which is traditionally the day that lambs are slaughtered. Ours have a few more weeks to enjoy the sunny days, munch on grass and hay, and frolic about the farm. I will miss this bunch since they are the first lambs I watched from birth to death, but I still feel the same way about their future - they lead happy, healthy lives. They get no drugs, no toxics, and they roam free in the fields. And when half of them disappear one day (the slaughter truck does the actually slaughtering), I look forward to giving thanks for the healthy meat that they provide. So cheers to the lambs that will soon be our dinner. We are grateful.

1 comment:

NWO Observer said...

Visit this blog. Thank you!