January 30, 2009

Running the Whidbey Half

I'm all signed up for the Whidbey Island Half Marathon.

But I am not a runner. Not really. I am actually not athletic at all. I hardly made it through a complete season as a kid. I was the girl with the bowl-cut in centerfield making daisy chains. I only played tennis in high school because a. my friend Amy was my doubles partner (and she was super good) and b. the tennis courts were in the prime location next to the baseball fields. (And you should know that Amy and I hit our fair share of balls into that field, just so we could do a slow jog in front of the baseball players.)

And then I grew up and went to college and started jogging to clear my head. But not very far. And not very long.

And then I started running longer distances – inspired by my friend Jenn (who was the inspiration of my first half-marathon) and Sarena (who reminds me that the runner's greatest hurdle is not physical, but mental). I started to experience the endorphin high that sweeps through your body after a couple hours of nonstop training.

And now I am having a love affair with the half marathon and daydreaming of mini-tris. Proof that even the slow and uncoordinated have a place at the fitness table!

No comments: