April 7, 2009

Twenty minutes old


While many lambs have been born on the farm since we arrived in 2007, on Sunday I had my most close-up encounter of the birthing process. I missed the first lamb, but watched the second one emerge. The mama licked them clean, starting with their mouth and nostrils so they could breath, and within minutes they were standing and rooting for her milk. Both lambs have the "flash" on their forehead, surely a sign of something magical? We gave up on naming the lambs - last year we had only six and they were each distinct. This year we have 11, and half of them are all black.

11 lambs!

2 comments:

MB said...

If they have flashes on their forehead, you should name them after Harry Potter :)

Malena said...

Love all the lamb pics, Maraid, and, of course, the names! Can't wait to see them. I'm deciding if I should show the kids the pictures first or not. See you soon!