I was just randomly looking back at posts from 2008. Back when we had time to keep the farm looking pristine. Lately, when I walk across the property I feel a twinge of regret about the weeds that are encroaching on every corner. I feel slightly guilty that the courtyard is filled with leaves and apples. I wish I could pick the squash and tomatoes that we planted.
But little Tru is more interested in tasting a dandelion or going on a walk (where the neighbor ladies are sure to dote on him) or to sit back in his swing with a big, toothy grin. There is no time for farm work.
Speaking of his big, toothy grin - the boy has some teeth! And I know how sharp his teeth are because his teeth have met my nipple. Lord.
I think we bought a house. Or, to use my new found real estate lingo, we are "signed around" and are in escrow. Which means, every night we get down on our knees with clasped hands, praying the bank approves our loan.
And last week I started a new job.
And Truman started crawling.
And everything is changing.
And all this change is making me nostalgic. I will never again spend an entire eight hours in this giant garden, dreaming of vegetables and letting dirt get so deep into my fingernails that I am embarrassed when I arrive at the office on Monday morning. And we will soon leave this beautiful, rich place with its lamb and its eggs and its apples. And I no longer commute to the city. I won't go to Nordstrom on my lunch break, or meet Lindsay for Thai food. I won't have 70 dedicated minutes a day for reading and drinking coffee. And Truman is moving. He doesn't want to nurse quite so much. He wants to explore the cabinets I haven't baby proofed and watch the dogs out in the yard. He is big. He hardly fits in the front pack.
I'm glad I have kept a record of our life at this place because we will probably never again live with such an incredible view from our front porch. That being said, I am looking forward to sitting on our new front porch, with a view of our little pond, and watching the weeds grow big and not really caring about them.
2 comments:
Time passing makes me nostalgic too. I feel it at the beginning of every new season too. Your farm sounded dreamy. What an amazing adventure you had.
Congrats on being in escrow. That for sure means you are a grown up now. :)
Love this, Mairead. Can't wait to hear about the new chapters. xo
Post a Comment