March 30, 2011

Babysitters

It costs me $10/hour to leave Truman with a babysitter, so it is a rare occasion in our house. Recently we have had a couple of events that did not mix with a messy, destructive, awesome one-year old and we had to hire out.

First off - it is tough to squeeze babysitting into your schedule when you are volunteering at an orphanage in Russia, taking college courses in Seattle, and taking care of your horse. At least that is what one 15 year old told me.

Second off - we are the world's WORST house for babysitting. Sure, our cute kid makes up for the fact that we have no TV and the only source of music is a complicated device known as "that fucking XM radio." And we have ZERO good snacks. How is a little hummus and carrots? Homemade crackers? Maybe, maybe some tortilla chips. B-O-R-I-N-G. We don't get the newspaper and unless you are into fishing, there is not a whole lot of current reading material. I am slightly concerned we will get a reputation on this island. "Ooh, don't babysit for the Shutts, they hide their ice cream when they go out and they don't have a pool table or anything."


3 comments:

Lindsay Dykes said...

I love this and I love you. You make me giggle.

Schoolcraft Stuff said...

This is hilarious. You guys are so so great.

Katrina said...

WHAT! $10/hour! I think that's more than inflation from when I babysat!

Love this post - and Tru is so cute!
Katrina