We just returned from a week long hiking and fishing adventure in the North Cascades. There are blisters and scrapes covering every part of my feet from our trek up a river bed in search of trout, but it was well worth it. We hiked into both lakes and along creeks and we (well, Jason) caught bulls, rainbows, brookies, and bass. I snagged a couple of brook trout and began to understand why fly fishing is so much fun.
Other highlights: Seeing the Sinlahekin Valley for the first time (worth the drive east from Winthrop), returning to Mazama (a town we camped in when we were first dating), and driving the long way home (through Plain, Wa).
We are now totally in our thirties. In our twenties we ONLY backpacked. We scoffed at car campers and their comfortable living. We swore we would never stop backpacking. But all it takes is a little back pain here, a little laziness there, and we are on an air mattress with a battery operated pump and a cooler full of bacon and beer. I have fully accepted that in the next decade I will be discussing which B&Bs serve the best scones and have the best pillows. Growing old is not so bad.
Thank God for vacations!
1 comment:
Great pictures, Mairead! We love the Winthrop area but haven't been very adventurous about exploring beyond... I'll have to borrow your travel agenda. Jason would love all that fishing. I totally hear you about aging and comfort level- it's so true. We are now in a tent trailer. :)
Post a Comment